Join experienced photographer and Times+ tutor Nigel Wilson, for this day-long course to find out how to achieve the best portraits with your camera.
Drawing inspiration from influential and ground-breaking photographers, you will learn a variety of camera techniques and approaches that will bring the most out of your portraiture. During the day you will analyse the work of David Bailey, Martin Parr, Jane Bown, Richard Avedon and many others to explore in detail the dynamic between photographer and sitter.
You will learn:
- technical considerations
- which equipment is best, including essential lenses
- how to explore light: natural v artificial
- an appreciation of inspirational portraiture styles.
- how to consider context
* Some understanding of aperture and shutter speed would be beneficial on this workshop
Numbers on this course are limited to enable maximum interaction with the tutor.
About your tutor:
Nigel Wilson is an experienced teacher and photographer, leading inspirational classes at many institutions, including New York University and London's famous Camera Club. He is currently lecturing at the Victoria & Albert Museum, and teaches a variety of classes for The Royal Photographic Society
Here’s what some previous attendees have said about our Times+ photography courses:
"such an interesting and informative day!"
"Covered key points in a memorable way"
"Great structure...friendly atmosphere, thoroughly informative"
"hugely enjoyable and inspirational"
"I will definitely improve as a result of the course"
The course will be taught via Zoom and participants will be required to have their microphones and cameras on during the day.
1. Tickets may be subject to availability. If so, places are available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
2. Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
3. Full payment on booking.
4. Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
5. TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sold discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
6. Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
7. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
9. By purchasing a ticket under these Terms and Conditions, you agree to respect the ideas of others shared on the course, and not share details of these ideas outside of the class unless you have written permission from the relevant individual.