Join nutritional therapist and Times contributor Ian Marber for an in-depth look at how to improve your heart health through diet and lifestyle.
If you were to imagine what someone with heart disease might look like, the chances of you might picture an overweight man in his 50s. Of the 7.6million people in the UK living with heart disease, some 4m are men and 3.6m women and heart disease remains the single biggest killer for both men and women.
Most of us have only a vague understanding of the several factors involved in developing heart disease and in this workshop we will examine how making dietary changes can help to manage three of these essential elements - cholesterol, hypertension and homocysteine.
Following the course, you’ll understand what the numbers mean on a blood test result, why a handful of nuts a day can help reduce the risk of a heart attack and why high blood pressure isn’t just about reducing salt intake.
This 90 minute online course, led by nutritional therapist Ian Marber, will look closely at cholesterol, hypertension and homocysteine - seeking to address common misconceptions and improve your understanding of how all three contribute to elevated risk of heart attacks and strokes. Divided into three parts, Ian will explore these three factors, and recommend strategies to improve your heart health and overall wellbeing. Each segment will include a short, practical exercise together with a Q&A.
- Cholesterol - what is it and where does it come from? Why is it relevant? What do the numbers mean on blood test results? How to eat to reduce cholesterol within three months.
- Hypertension - what does it mean and why is it relevant? How to interpret blood pressure numbers. How to reduce high blood pressure through diet
- Homocysteine - an introduction to this amino acid, and how it's appraised by practitioners. How to improve your scores through dietary choices
During the 90 minute session you will learn to:
- Understand key elements of how cardiovascular disease can develop and is relevant
- Be able to identify how diet may have been implicated
- Understand what to eat to help reduce these risk factors
- Identify five key foods that you should be eating
This course is suitable for anyone interested in understanding more about how to reduce the risk of heart disease and will be particularly relevant to those over 45.
About your tutor:
Ian Marber is one of the most widely-known and well-regarded nutrition therapists in the UK, with 22 years’ experience of working with thousands of clients to affect positive change. He is a best-selling author of 12 books, an award-winning health writer and food expert, and is known for his practical and balanced approach. He is a regular contributor to The Times.
The course will be taught as part lecture / part-workshop, and a PDF of content will be shared afterwards. It will be conducted via Zoom, and participants will be encouraged to have their cameras on.
This course is now sold out, if you'd like to receive information about future course dates, please email email@example.com
If you have any questions relating to this course, or any others, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Tickets may be subject to availability. If so, places are available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
2. Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
3. Full payment on booking.
4. Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
5. TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sold discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
6. Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
7. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
9. By purchasing a ticket under these Terms and Conditions, you agree to respect the ideas of others shared on the course, and not share details of these ideas outside of the class unless you have written permission from the relevant individual.