Join designer & maker Nicole Akong for a relaxed and informative workshop to help you learn or refresh your dressmaking skills and create your perfect wardrobe.
Over the last year at home, many of us have developed a renewed interest in developing our creative skills as well as living more sustainably and reassessing our personal style. This 2 hour introductory workshop has been created to help you learn the basic principles involved in starting to design and sew clothes that fit you and suit your style perfectly.
Designer and contestant on last year's series of The Great British Sewing Bee, Nicole Akong will take you through how to use your favourite wardrobe items as a starting point for designing your own clothes, show you what tools, materials and resources you will need to get started on your journey of making clothes, and recommend how and where to source sewing patterns & fabrics that are the closest match to your design. The 2 hour online session will cover how to take accurate measurements of your body to ensure a good fit, as well as how to choose the right sewing machine for your needs.
On completion of the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Connect with their personal style and feel empowered to make more of the clothes that they love and feel good in
- Start sourcing sewing patterns and fabrics to bring their clothing designs to life
- Understand the basic principles behind dressmaking and fitting
This course is suited to people who may or may not already have some experience with sewing or using a sewing machine in the past, and who are interested in taking up or resuming dressmaking as a hobby.
Nicole Akong is a visionary fashion designer, passionate maker and advocate of the ‘me made’ sewing movement. Nicole made her television debut in 2020 on BBC’s hit series The Great British Sewing Bee, finishing as runner-up.
Nicole first came to prominence in 2010 through her iconic jewellery collection AKONG. Her designs were bought by some of the world's most renowned retailers, featured regularly in major fashion magazines, and famously worn by one of the world's biggest fashion icons, Amal Clooney. Nicole was nominated as the New Designer of the Year in 2011 at the Fashion Awards in London.
After re-connecting with her childhood love of sewing, Nicole took her distinct flair for embellishment beyond the boundaries of jewellery and into the world of clothing and accessories. In June 2020, Nicole announced the launch of HOUSE OF AKONG, a fashion house of the future, bringing Nicole’s innovative designs across jewellery and fashion to the creative world of crafting and DIY. Nicole’s mission is to spread joy through creativity, inspiring more and more people to become empowered creators of the things they desire, instead of passive consumers. Nicole regularly immerses her audience into her creative world through behind-the-scenes stories and videos, allowing them to follow her entire creative design process from start to finish.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box. Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
The course will be accessed via a unique link to a webinar.
If you have any questions about this course, or any others, please email: email@example.com
1. Tickets may be subject to availability. If so, places are available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
2. Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
3. Full payment on booking.
4. Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
5. TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sold discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
6. Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
7. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
9. By purchasing a ticket under these Terms and Conditions, you agree to respect the ideas of others shared on the course, and not share details of these ideas outside of the class unless you have written permission from the relevant individual.