Join Sophie Loxton Lucas, Fair Director at The Other Art Fair, Saatchi Art, on the evening of Tuesday, November 23 as she shares her expertise about investing in emerging artists.
A piece of art can conjure up a range of powerful emotions as well as contributing something aesthetically pleasing to your home environment. However, starting an art collection – especially for investment purposes – can feel daunting.
With the recent explosion of art fairs, online platforms and new media, there are many exciting directions to take when discovering new artists and buying art. Whether you are an experienced collector looking for your next investment or just at the start of your art buying journey, this online course will give you clear steps to make your mark in the art world today.
Sophie will guide you through the reasons why you should invest, her tips on how best to navigate the art world – both online and in-person – and advice on how to develop your art collection.
In this two-hour online course you will learn:
- How to navigate the contemporary art world: this includes public museums, contemporary galleries, art fairs and online platforms.
- How to identify ‘Rising Art Stars’
- How to choose an investment artwork
- Practical considerations when investing in artworks
As part of this engaging course, Sophie will interview three artists directly from their studios with a live audience Q&A at the end of the session. This is a rare opportunity to catch a behind-the-scenes insight into the new work of leading emerging artists of The Other Art Fair, Saatchi Art.
The course will be taught via the webinar platform Big Marker. You will not be required to have your camera and microphone on.
About your tutor:
Sophie Loxton Lucas is a curator, arts producer and lecturer. As Fair Director at The Other Art Fair, Saatchi Art, she has worked with hundreds of artists across the UK, US and Australia. Over the past seven years, Sophie has been instrumental in developing the international editions of The Other Art Fair: she successfully launched the Chicago edition at Mana Contemporary, and re-positioned the Brooklyn fair to present as a key satellite fair during Frieze NY week. Sophie is passionate about opportunities for artists within the creative community; she leads professional development lectures at University of the Arts London, and was a 2019/20 NEW INC. mentor for the New Museum, NYC. She sits on the board of The Sketchbook Project, Brooklyn, and the development committee of Hospital Rooms, London.
Following the course you will be sent a copy of the presentation which will include recommendations for further reading, a link to the curated collection of investment pieces on Saatchi Art and information about the ‘Rising Star’ artists featured in the presentation.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box. Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
If you have any questions relating to this course, or any others, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
2. Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
3. Full payment on booking.
4. Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
5. Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
6. TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sold discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
7. Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
8. Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
9. SquadUp will let us know if you attended the event. This is so we can see how popular our events are with our subscribers.